Sunday, July 28, 2013

Book Review: Anatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky

Anatomy of a Boyfriend
By Daria Snadowsky
Release Date: January 9, 2007
Source: Author
Summary: Before this all happened, the closest I'd ever come to getting physical with a guy was playing the board game Operation. Okay, so maybe that sounds pathetic, but it's not like there were any guys at my high school who I cared to share more than three words with, let alone my body.

Then I met Wes, a track star senior from across town. Maybe it was his soulful blue eyes, or maybe my hormones just started raging. Either way, I was hooked. And after a while, he was too. I couldn't believe how intense my feelings became, or the fact that I was seeing—and touching—parts of the body I'd only read about in my Gray's Anatomy textbook. You could say Wes and I experienced a lot of firsts together that spring. It was scary. It was fun. It was love.

And then came the fall.


Review: With Anatomy of a Single Girl, the second book in this series, coming out earlier this year, I figured I should try this one out before going on to the second book by this author. As a coming-of-age novel, the honesty and relatable qualities of the main character caught me from the beginning. 

Dom has always been the focused girl. Get through high school, into college, and then go onto med school. She's never felt the need to have a guy in the picture, until she falls at the feet of Wes. Literally. Now, Dom finds herself with her first real boyfriend experiencing a whole lot of firsts together. But when it comes time to grow up and plan the future, can first loves really last? 

I wasn't sure how I thought I would like this book, but I have to say, I really ended up enjoying this story about Dom exploring her first relationship as a teenager. Normally, girls in books like that can be really naive and annoying with how insecure they feel about themselves. But not Dom. Daria Snadowsky definitely channeled her inner Judy Blume and created a book that all girls can relate to when it comes to boys and relationships. 

What I liked most about this book had to be how imperfect Dom is. She has her imperfections and insecurities (though not annoyingly so) and her relationship with Wes definitely has its awkward moments (who's doesn't?). Dom is just a real character and there were some pretty funny moments in this book. 

Overall, this was a great read about growing up and learning really important life lessons. And instead of focusing on the purely physical aspect of the relationship, the book had a lot to do with the actual relationship with Dom and her boyfriend, as well as Dom and her best friend. If you want an honest book that has a lot of its own quirks, I'd recommend picking this one up!



1 comment:

  1. Awesome to know that you enjoyed this one so much! I got both of these books last week and I can't wait to give them a go!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...