Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Book Review: Sea by Heidi R. Kling

Summary: Fifteen-year-old Sienna Jones has been haunted by the memory of her mothers death for three years. Now, she has to go to Indonesia with her dad and his relief team to help orphans who lost their family to the tsunami. Once she gets there, she meets the most intriguing boy she's ever met named Deni. As Sienna and Deni grow closer, Sienna's dad's relief team tries to help the orphans overcome their post-tramatic stress disorders. Sienna should be helping them, but when news comes to Deni that his father may be the one looking for him at the heart of where the tsunami hit, he and Sienna waste no time running away to find out the truth. But the truth brings both of them answers that they don't know if they're ready to hear. 


Review: After seeing so many rave reviews of this book, I knew I had to read it. But once I finally got through it, I was so disappointed. It was a good enough read, but a lot of things bugged me. First off, the main character is 15. So basically, this book is about a 15 year old going to another country and falling in love with an 18 year old. I'm sorry, but that's just too young for me. Of the 15 year olds I know, I would laugh if that happened to them because it's so unbelievable. Also, I didn't really feel the connection they had. Sienna was just suddenly like, oooh I can't take my eyes off of him after he stares at me and I'm just like seriously? And from the description, he doesn't even sound that attractive (goatees just don't do it for me). I would have been okay with the book if it ended 50 pages sooner. The events that happen in the last 50 pages made me feel like the story was just a waste of time. I don't want to ruin anything, but the person that the ending is all about was in the book for probably 10 pages, 15 at the most. That being said, the entire story really had no point if it was going to end like that. As good as the reviews and cover are, the story itself is disappointing and not all that believable.





1 comment:

  1. Sorry you didn't like it. It sounds like I wouldn't like this book either, though I do love the cover. It always sucks when the main character does stuff that isn't believable. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...